Over the four days Cheese there will be plenty of chances to discover and support A Thousand Gardens in Africa, the Slow Food project launched at Terra Madre 2010 with the goal of creating a thousand gardens in schools, villages and town outskirts of 25 African countries.
A number of initiatives devolve their proceeds to the project:
- Aperitivo with the Presidia, on Friday 16, from 6.30 pm, organized at the new Slow Food bazaar in Via Mendicità Istruita
- Roy Paci is holding a concert to celebrate his birthday on Friday 16, starting at 10.00 pm in Piazza Caduti per la Libertà. Roy will receive the realization of a garden in Africa as birthday gift from Slow Food and the audience. Everyone can contribute with a simple donation or by buying the t-shirt "Siamo tutti Africani" ("We are all African") that Roy will also wear during the concert.
- Tasting sessions at the Literary and Music Café everyday from 11 am to 8 pm in the courtyard of Slow Food Editore
- at the Biodiversity House from Friday to Sunday, from 11 am to 10 pm at San Rocco Church, Via Cavour, visitors can taste coffee from the Harenna forest Presidium (Ethiopia)
- Pizza Piazza, everyday in the courtyard of the Scuole Maschili in Via Marconi, will host an initiative organized by Slow Food Campania to support the Thousand Gardens in Africa, with a collection of plates dedicated to Cheese 2011; all the proceeds from sales of the plates will be donated to the Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity project.
Besides these initiatives which will donate proceeds to the African gardens, several shops in Bra (in agreement with Ascom Bra, the town's Shopkeeper Association) and in neighboring towns will also give their support to the project. Those deciding to stay overnight, make a purchase, taste an aperitivo in one of the places collaborating with the project will therefore give an important contribute to African communities.
The following shops and associations are involved:
Albergo dell'Agenzia, Pollenzo (Bra)
Ristorante Badellino, Bra
Ristorante Battaglino, Bra
Osteria Boccondivino, Bra
Pasticceria Cavour, Bra
Consorzio La Zizzola, Bra
Gelato I.G.P, Bra
Sardo e Quaglia, Bra
Sindaco e assessori del comune di Bra
Caffè Vittorio, Bra
Zenzero, gastronomia e ristoro, Bra
Osteria dell'Arco, Alba
Osteria Duvert, Cherasco
Macelleria Graziano, Cherasco
Osteria La Rosa Rossa, Cherasco
Osteria La Torre, Cherasco
The Consorzio Nazionale Acciaio supports the Thousand Gardens in Africa project by donating the proceeds from the collection of steel containers, cans and tins to the initiative. The containers for the collection of steel items will be placed in the recycling areas at Cheese.
For further information:
Tel. +39 0172 419756